[LAU] Pros and cons of 64 bit Linux

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Fri Aug 14 00:37:14 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:01:59PM +0800, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Even though RAM is cheap I believe having discrete video RAM is better
> for audio performance...strik me down if I am wrong.. I am open to
> suggestion.

Doesn't work as a blanket statement, you gotta measure it.

It has to do with the manner in which system memory is shared between a
video card and other uses.

It has to do with which has the greater bandwidth ... the path from the
CPU to the system memory, or the path from the CPU to the discrete video
memory.

It has to do with whether the path from the CPU to the discrete video
will consume enough bandwidth to prevent your audio from working well.

Bad program code in applications, kernel, or drivers ... can be as much
to blame as anything.

But at least with discrete video memory you can exclude the video card
as a direct and regular cause of system memory access delays.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/