[LAU] To improve Linux audio tools: a Blender like idea

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Aug 26 08:39:13 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 13:45:01 Ray Rashif wrote:
> Yes, I see that. However, it's one and the same. Soundtrack or not, Blender
> or not, it's a major initiative and undertaking to (1) stress-test our
> audio tools against industry standards and (2) reach out to the masses,
> resulting in (3) a byproduct for eg. a soundtrack for an "open" film.
> Too loose and fragmented to begin with (whereas for Blender it pretty much
> dominates its "market" and is _really_ industry-ready), if you ask me.

I don't get it.
Why are you asking whether linux audio is ready for production usage?
There are already commercial products using linux audio for production usage.
There are already studios using linux audio to produce music for money.

Doesn't that answer the question?

The real question is: why didn't the blender-project use free linux audio
tools for the soundtrack?
And the answer is there in the response from composer: They aren't normally
working with linux audio and couldn't afford (mostly due to time constraints as
they say for themselves) switching linux audio. Which I can understand. And
which you have to fight, because ideally all projects have a fixed time-frame
and if you don't start with using linux at one time, you will never...

Arnold