[LAU] another csound vs supercollider question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 27 07:28:50 EDT 2009

Hallo,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> cunnilinux himself wrote:
> > does anybody know how supercollider performs in realtime comparing to csound?
> > which one is faster?
> >
> > thanxx in advance.
> >

> Like Dan said, it depends on what you're running, in hardware and
> software. I've used both systems in realtime, each performs very well in
> Linux with an rt-enabled kernel.
>
> Which one you prefer really depends on other factors, e.g. language
> type, available opcodes, GUI, etc.

And as both are sound *programming* languages, the speed also depends on how well
you've designed your Csound/SC programs itself.

In all these languages (and in software like Pd) you can do some terribly slow
things, but if you do them right, they may run pretty fast. I don't think,
there is much difference between SC and Csound when both just play some sine waves,
probably this is well optimized in both. I didn't benchmark it, though.

Ciao
--
Frank