[LAU] another csound vs supercollider question

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 27 12:30:59 EDT 2009

Hello

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Frank Barknecht<fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> cunnilinux himself wrote:
> > does anybody know how supercollider performs in realtime comparing to csound?
> > which one is faster?
> And as both are sound *programming* languages, the speed also depends on how well
> you've designed your Csound/SC programs itself.

Yes and moreover, it depends on how each crunches numbers.  Signal
generators that rely on table lookup will probably perform differently
than those who crunch their values on the spot.  Same goes for the way
filters and other DSP functions are implemented.  But how much such
argument holds today given the powerful processors and (usually)
optimized code in most real-time audio applications, I don't know.

I'd say go ahead an implement exact same programs using both and then
decide.  I suppose that also the implementation details, hoops,
workarounds will help you decide which one you prefer to use,
irrespective of performance gain or loss.

If you follow this route, please post your findings ;)

./MiS