[LAU] ableton live in vmware

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Aug 27 20:42:23 EDT 2009

On 08/28/2009 05:32 AM, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Atte Andre Jensen<atte.jensen at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Actually this (a live daw) might be the largest blind angle in linux
>> audio, and as others I survive with good-enough home brewed stuff (mine
>> is done in chuck, I imagine most use pd or supercollider). Mine is
>> working ok, getting more and more polished, but still only does what I
>> need the most (although some of that is outside the scope of live, like
>> algorithmic improvisations guided by user input).
>>
> I think it's pretty safe to say that having AL-like features (MIDI
> friendly, elastic audio) would be the "killer app" for Linux audio.  I
> really can't think of anything else that Linux audio *can't* do.
> Hell, we've conquered the VST issue, synthesis, midi, algorithmic
> music programming, patch-type programming...is there really anything
> else?  (well, yea, there is, but you see my point...)
>
> The bigger question is, how do people like myself who cannot code
> assist in making this happen?  I'm certainly willing to pay money and
> encourage others to do the same, however I would like to know that my
> money is going towards something specific that I want.
>

> Any suggestions?

Install hydrogen dev version and terminatorx. Compare them to AL and
make a list of the features that are missing. Ask nicely for developers
to implement the features or offer a bounty.

I once looked at what would need to be done to tX to get it to perform
like AL and the only thing missing in terms of interface was a sample
grid the could be used to trigger the samples. Most of the
infrastructure is in place already.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd