[LAU] ableton live in vmware

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Aug 27 23:39:15 EDT 2009

On 08/28/2009 01:26 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Atte Andre Jensen wrote:
>

>>> Hydrogen has some similarities to AL... so I've pondered if it could be
>>> forked (or developed) to become a live DAW.
>>>
>> Could you elaborate? What similarities, what's missing (just the big
>> picture), it's been a while since a glanced at hydrogen.
>>
> The main feature of AL is the scenes and loop-based composition,
> right?  This is essentially a specialized sequencer/sampler.  And
> hydrogen is a sequencer/sampler.
>
> Further, Hydrogen is based on the idea of have several patterns
> (like a loop) that you set up.  Then the song is composed in a
> sort of paint-by-numbers fashion.  This is a lot like AL's scenes.
>
> Hydrogen also has some DAW-like features, including some primative mixing
> and FX.
>
> Hydrogen lacks any code for looping or beat slicing.  Also, the audio
> internals are a little ugly IMHO -- but I've been working to improve that.
> When I'm done, I expect the backend to be *very* DAW-like.

It does have code for looping a sequenced list.

It doesn't have is an AL like grid for triggering samples.

It does have the ability to trigger a sample manually.

IIUC, it doesn't have functionality to play multiple patterns at the
same time.

So adding multi pattern support and a sample grid for triggering a
pattern manually on/off would be a major leap towards AL like
functionality. The grid should allow for unlimited patterns to be
assigned to a session. The buttons would need to be assignable to midi
triggers too.

All the ground work has been laid and it is just a case of having the
motivation to do it.

I have been planning to contribute some code to this for a while but
have not been able to make the time yet.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd