[LAU] ableton live in vmware

Sebastian Moors mauser at smoors.de
Fri Aug 28 05:36:42 EDT 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 05:39:15 Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> >> Could you elaborate? What similarities, what's missing (just the big
> >> picture), it's been a while since a glanced at hydrogen.
> >
> > The main feature of AL is the scenes and loop-based composition,
> > right?  This is essentially a specialized sequencer/sampler.  And
> > hydrogen is a sequencer/sampler.
> >
> > Further, Hydrogen is based on the idea of have several patterns
> > (like a loop) that you set up.  Then the song is composed in a
> > sort of paint-by-numbers fashion.  This is a lot like AL's scenes.
> >
> > Hydrogen also has some DAW-like features, including some primative mixing
> > and FX.
> >
> > Hydrogen lacks any code for looping or beat slicing.  Also, the audio
> > internals are a little ugly IMHO -- but I've been working to improve
> > that. When I'm done, I expect the backend to be *very* DAW-like.
>
> It does have code for looping a sequenced list.
>
> It doesn't have is an AL like grid for triggering samples.
>
> It does have the ability to trigger a sample manually.
>
> IIUC, it doesn't have functionality to play multiple patterns at the
> same time.

Hi,

i'm happy to state that hydrogen IS able to play multiple patterns at the same
time. In hydrogen 0.9.4 we call that "stacked pattern mode". At the moment
you have to select the patterns with your mouse.
 It's not implemented to select patterns via midi, but if you really want it,
open a ticket[1] and i'm going to look at it when i've got time to..
-  Sebastian

[1]: http://www.assembla.com/spaces/hydrogen/tickets