[LAU] Do I have Real-Time (Complete Preemption)?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 06:44:09 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 12:33 +0100, Martin Horn wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Atte André Jensen
> <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Martin Horn wrote:
>
>                 I made an install of ubuntustudio 8.04.3 hardy
>

>         I don't know much about ubuntustudio, but do you really think
>         it's a good idea to run software that's over 1 1/2 years old?
>
>         In my experience, eventually you'll need to compile somethings
>         that needs a newer lib, and you're stuck...
>
> I chose this version because it is recommended by Ubuntustudio for
> production critical machines and I know that I got all libs I need (in
> fact I want to run only a single app - xwax).
>
> But as I am not able to manipulate irq priorities in the standard
> kernel of ubuntustudio I will have to build a rt-kernel myself anyway,
> so I'll maybe choose another more lightweight distro...
>
> ANY IDEAS which one is up to date but lightweight as it is for a 1Ghz
> Pentium and I need realtime 4in/4out setup?
>
> Thanks to you all!

Up-to-date + lightweight = Arch Linux!

Be prepared to spend more time than usual to set up though, since
there's not much hand-holding in the install process. Once you've set it
up to your liking its easier than the alternatives (for me, personally).

Oh, and its just about as close to bleeding-edge as you can get without
using svn/cvs/git all the time, so be alert to what's being updated at
any one time.