[LAU] Do I have Real-Time (Complete Preemption)?

Tapani Sysimetsä tapani.sysimetsa at welho.com
Wed Dec 2 06:45:24 EST 2009

Martin Horn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I made an install of ubuntustudio 8.04.3 hardy and am running a kernel
> called 2.6.24-25-rt. I need to set the priority of my interrupts with
> chrt but this does not work.
>
> I read that I need a Complete Preemption kernel and assume I don't
> have. How can I find out? How can I get a Complete Preemption kernel.
> Do I need to build it?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Martin

Hi Martin,

It is also possible to use 64Studio's kernel (2.6.29-1-multimedia) in
Ubuntu 8.04. It is complete preemption kernel. According to my
experience, it is much better than the rt-kernel of Ubuntu Studio 8.04.

Below is a link to my very much unofficial tutorial for upgrading
Ubuntu8.04/Mint5 to 64Studio 3.0beta. It's been working well here and
for the few others who have tried it out. I wrote it because 64Studio
3.0beta installer was not working with my laptop and this seemed to be
the only way to get 3.0 up and running.

Please note that I have not tried this with Ubuntu Studio 8.04, I cannot
guarantee anything. It might be better to try it on a clean install of
regular Ubuntu 8.04 (or Mint5).

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25972

Greetings,

Tapani