[LAU] Gui for convolution engine (was: some news from KVRaudio)

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Dec 8 14:34:56 EST 2009

Hi,

part of this is also an answer to Paul's mail, but Dave has a longer list to
work on:-)

I haven't looked at the gui provided by this KVRaudio plugin. So these are
"clean-room" thoughts... (Today we had a fire-alarm in our clean-room at work:)

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 19:09:48 Dave Phillips wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> > But why use a VST plugin under linux to apply an IR when there is already
> > jconvolver present?
> > *me wonders*
> Some reasons come to this mind:
>
> A functional GUI.

Okay. But that should only apply when you change the mix-level or the IR,
either its parameters, which results in a re-calculation of the IR, or the
file. Both are probably not things you would automate inside a session. Unless
the position of the source is a parameter for a big artificial convolution to
simulate whole acoustic environments. I think most people just use an IR of
some nice room to have a hall-effect...

> Better sound.

Why does the sound improve when I use a convolution-engine as a plugin opposed
to using it standalone?

> Choice.

Choice of the convolution engine? Choice of the gui? Choice of the gui-
toolkit?

> I prefer the color yellow with my reverb's UI.

:-) 'nuff said

> VST plugins mean the world to me.

Using windows VST's inside a linux environment is a valid reason for converts.

Native linux VST's have no advantage over native LADSPA/DSSI/LV2 plugins.
Except for the non-free license of the header/sdk from steinberg and the
possible legal problems with the clean-room reconstructions of the api/abi.

> Just some possible answers to your question. They are not necessarily
> valid, true, or believable, they're just possible replies.

/me writes "writing a ladspa plugin using libzita-convolve" on his todo-
list:-)

Have fun,

Arnold