[LAU] First L2Ork track now available

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Dec 8 22:07:14 EST 2009

Dear fellow FOSS enthusiasts,

Last week's L2Ork debut was a great success with the performance hall packed and people standing in the back. We've had a tremendous amount of positive feedback and it has been truly hart-touching to learn that people genuinely cared about and were moved by what we had to share. As some of you may be already aware, our story also made the Slashdot and our server has received close to a half a million hits since its posting. Likewise, we've been featured on regional TV channels as well as various international news outlets.

As our thanks to all who have so generously supported us both in person and through the endless corners of the internet, we've posted a track from our weekend recording session. "Citadel" is a piece for soprano and L2Ork that uses a poem by Ivan Gundulic, a famous Croatian poet from the Baroque era. The piece was recorded in a beautifully reverberant Burruss rotunda on the Virginia Tech campus. No post-processing has been applied to the recording beyond a minor eq to soften lows.

To listen please visit http://l2ork.music.vt.edu/main/ and click on the Media->Jukebox, or simply click on the link in what is currently the top post on the L2Ork blog.

Once again, thank you all for your kind support. We will be starting a public l2ork-dev list soon, so if you wish to contribute, participate, or start your own L2Ork, please do not hesitate to join in on the discussion. Likewise, should you feel compelled to leave a comment, please feel free to do so on our jukebox page (no registration required).

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
Virginia Tech