[LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Dec 18 08:57:32 EST 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Arnold Krille wrote:

> So if you know your sound has a (constant) delay before its heard, why don't
> you anticipate for that and just make your sound earlier?
>
> It works, for centuries organists have done so.
> But to be fair: I use my synths at <20ms.

<grumpy_old_man>
In _MY_ day, we didn't have these fancy LOW-LATENCY
com-PEUT-ers.  We listened for the person in the next
village beating on a LOG... and if we wanted to play with
them, we beat on our OWN log.  And nothing ever lined up and
it sounded god-aweful, and WE LIKED IT!  WE LOVED IT!
</grumpy_old_man>

:-)

-gabriel

p.s. For centuries, organists haven't kept steady tempo,
either....