[LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Dec 18 10:04:55 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:57:32 -0600 (CST)
"Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabriel at teuton.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Arnold Krille wrote:
>
> > So if you know your sound has a (constant) delay before its heard, why don't
> > you anticipate for that and just make your sound earlier?
> >
> > It works, for centuries organists have done so.
> > But to be fair: I use my synths at <20ms.
>
> <grumpy_old_man>
> In _MY_ day, we didn't have these fancy LOW-LATENCY
> com-PEUT-ers.  We listened for the person in the next
> village beating on a LOG... and if we wanted to play with
> them, we beat on our OWN log.  And nothing ever lined up and
> it sounded god-aweful, and WE LIKED IT!  WE LOVED IT!
> </grumpy_old_man>
>
> :-)
>
> -gabriel

###king wimps!
We made music by sticking thorns in sabre-toothed tigers. Pitch and
volume were determined by just where you stick the thorn ;)

> p.s. For centuries, organists haven't kept steady tempo,
> either....

Nobody ever told them they had to!

Quote:
'You can easily tell which organists can play widors toccata - they
don't fall off the bench'

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk