[LAU] multi-channel recording

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Sun Dec 27 01:00:19 EST 2009

Edward Barrow wrote:
> I've been getting by so far with an amd64 box running debian, jack,
> ardour etc through Terratec DMX-6fire (Envy24 based) card, but now
> find that I need to record more channels simultaneously.
>

> I would like (and can just about afford) the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra,
> but it doesn't look as though it is going to be easy to get it to work
> under Linux. It's a USB 2.0 device - it needs those 480Mb/s to record
> 8 channels simultaneously - so it isn't class-compliant.
>
> Has anyone succeeded in getting this interface to work properly in Linux?
>
> If not, can anyone suggest alternatives in the same sort of price range?

I use an EchoAudio Audiofire 12.  It has 12 in / 12 out TRS inputs and
amazing sound quality.  Echo is very FFADO friendly and supports the OSS
community.  I just looked at the prices on-line and the AF12 is only
listed at US$100 more than the FastTrack Ultra.  FWIW, I found mine on
Craigslist for $300.  I've never had a digital piece of hardware work so
flawlessly for so long, it's really quite unreal how perfect it is.

p.s. It's firewire and it looks like you want USB, so whatever.

-Scott