[LAU] The Drummer's "Gigsaw": 3 Virtual Books

Peter Geirnaert peter.geirnaert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 04:40:36 EST 2009

I am kind of intrigued by this drummers gigsaw... seems to be some
> kind of drum beat library?
> But after that I am totally at loss, can you or someone explain how
> this can be used. Is it strictly for arranging with lilypond? Is it
> for arranging?
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> Hi Robert

Did you follow the tutorial that is in the archive? What step is it you
don't understand?
Here's a short review I wrote about Gigsaw:

The Gigsaw can be useful to replace a normal sequencer because it allows one
to work on a midi file using text only and thus the functions that are
available in a text editor, like e.g. the replace function. More logical
maybe.
Sometimes it's easier to use the names of rhythms instead of the notation or
midi pianoroll/matrix drum editor.

To use the Gigsaw, you need gvim (the vim-gnome package).
At least, to convert from Lilypond format to midi.
Arranging drums can also be done in a simple text editor using copy-paste.

Cheers
Peter