[LAU] The Drummer's "Gigsaw": 3 Virtual Books

Philippe Hezaine philippe.hezaine at free.fr
Tue Dec 29 07:40:01 EST 2009

Peter Geirnaert a écrit :

>     I am kind of intrigued by this drummers gigsaw... seems to be some
>     kind of drum beat library?
>     But after that I am totally at loss, can you or someone explain how
>     this can be used. Is it strictly for arranging with lilypond? Is it
>     for arranging?
>
>     Regards,
>     Robert
>
> Hi Robert
>
> Did you follow the tutorial that is in the archive? What step is it you
> don't understand?
> Here's a short review I wrote about Gigsaw:
>
> The Gigsaw can be useful to replace a normal sequencer because it allows
> one to work on a midi file using text only and thus the functions that
> are available in a text editor, like e.g. the replace function. More
> logical maybe.
> Sometimes it's easier to use the names of rhythms instead of the
> notation or midi pianoroll/matrix drum editor.
>
> To use the Gigsaw, you need gvim (the vim-gnome package).
> At least, to convert from Lilypond format to midi.
> Arranging drums can also be done in a simple text editor using copy-paste.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Thanks Peter to push me. It's easier like that.
Some precisions:
The Gigsaw can be used in two ways:
1. Without an install it's a Midi drum beat library you manipulate in a
sequencer. (Totally cross-platforms) For those who are allergic to
Lilypond. (Yes! there are.) Also because most of musicians are able to
work with Midi files.
2. After an install it's some kind of drumming by text. If you play the
rules of the game, mainly a bit of syntax, all is possible. You can
arrange your song first-rate with whatever you want, for instance
irrational tuplets or odd meters.

And you are not at the end of surprises about features but it's for the
next months. In fact I still don't understand very well these new
features myself.
I forgot to say that midi files are edited with a mapping of velocities.
If you don't understand something don't hesitate to ask.
Have fun and happy new year.
--
   Phil.