[LAU] LAC2009 website update

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Feb 2 20:33:52 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:33:09PM +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 12:49:32PM -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
>
> > Wow, it's in Italia! I'd love to go. Alas, I can't;
> > the airfare alone from SFO to Milano would be around
> > US$1000... there's no way I can come up with that kind
> > of money.
>
> You're not the first US resident to deplore this...
> What happened to all those cheap transatlantic
> flights ? Petrol prices are down...
>
> > Also I've never been to Italy myself (sono io
> > cento-per-cento italiano, ma nato a New York),
> > and I'm a bit afraid to go, since if I do,
> > I might not ever want to come back. *sigh*
>
> I'm not so sure of that... The US finally have a
> respectable president, we still have Berlusconi.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that clown. I was so happy when he was gone... but then he came back! WTF?

I'm much happier these days with Obama and the Democrats, but it remains to be seen whether the "change" will be sufficient to pull us out of the tailspin we're in. I think it'll be rough going for quite a while.

> Italy is in crisis - and not only the economy.
> Last weekend some kids (youngest was 17, and all
> from 'respectable' families) set fire to a homeless
> Indian sleeping outdours, just 'per divertirsi'...

Ugh, that sucks. I guess every country has its equivalent of "rednecks".

I also just remembered reports from a few years ago of crowds in Italy chanting "Duce!"... not good. OK maybe I'll stay here then; at least I know what I'm getting.

Have fun at the conference. I'd still love to go, if I had the money. As my grandmother used to say, "Managiano i soldi, e quiri stampa oppure!"

-ken