[LAU] clicks in sound when running dual core

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Feb 6 15:35:49 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Robert Jonsson <spamatica at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thinking back I realize that I stumbled on this problem on the last rebuild
> some years ago but ended up running single core without investigating why
> this was.

The symptom sounds rather like the infamous old AMD64 non-monotonic
clock resulting from clocks not being properly synchronised across
cores.  But I had thought that workarounds in the kernel, JACK, or
both had made this a non-issue for most systems installed in the last
couple of years.  (I am quite sure that a workaround dedicated to
solving specifically this problem was merged to JACK trunk quite a
number of releases ago, and any contemporary JACK release will have
it.)

This page: http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/kernel.html refers to
the problem.

I realise I'm not offering any solution here, just pointing out that
your problem sounds the same as this one.

Chris