[LAU] an rt kernel for ubuntu 8.10 ?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sat Feb 14 09:05:59 EST 2009

Den Saturday 14 February 2009 14:24:30 skrev Dave Phillips:
> As some of you know, I've had nothing but trouble with Ubuntu's rt
> kernel, specifically 2.6.27-3-rt from the current repos. As a result
> I've been working in non-realtime, and I'm not happy about it.

I'm not 100% sure what your problem was, it was xruns even after using an
external card and a machine with an Intel card? Anyway, I have a dual core 1.3
CPU machine with an internal Intel card and Ubuntu 8.10 with the KDE 4.2 (I
used to have open box when running rt-kernel) desktop and an external USB
card. I did have plenty of xruns even with the external card and nothing
helped before I started using jackdmp 1.9.

Now, I have no more xruns (using 2.6.27-3-rt on 8.10 with KDE 4.2 desktop) and
the latency I use when recording is normally 1.45 ms on my lap top with acpi
off. The USB card is an old M-audio Mobile PreUSB (44100 16-bit). I do not
record often with on my lap top, but everything works fine when I have to use
it.

So you might give the 2.6.27-3-rt the last chance with some help from jackdmp
1.9 (the upcoming jack 2.0). I have used jackdmp around 11 months now and it's
IMO the only choice on a 64 bits machine with more than one core. I also use
jackdmp on my studio machine and are really happy with it.

I hope this helps.

Jostein