[LAU] an rt kernel for ubuntu 8.10 ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Feb 14 09:45:58 EST 2009

Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> ... I have no more xruns (using 2.6.27-3-rt on 8.10 with KDE 4.2
> desktop) and the latency I use when recording is normally 1.45 ms on
> my lap top with acpi off. The USB card is an old M-audio Mobile PreUSB
> (44100 16-bit). I do not record often with on my lap top, but
> everything works fine when I have to use it.
>

> So you might give the 2.6.27-3-rt the last chance with some help from
> jackdmp 1.9 (the upcoming jack 2.0). I have used jackdmp around 11
> months now and it's IMO the only choice on a 64 bits machine with more
> than one core. I also use jackdmp on my studio machine and are really
> happy with it.
>

> I hope this helps.

Hi Jostein,

This is interesting. Did you patch the rt sources at all or are you
running the kernel as it came from the repo ? Did you simply drop-in the
jackdmp version of jackd (./waf configure --prefix=/usr) or was any
other action required ?

Btw, I determined that the rt kernel was causing many of the troubles I
had with 8.10. Running the non-rt kernel eliminates those problems,
specifically the system hang at logout or shutdown. Of course, it also
leaves me without an rt-capable kernel. :(

Best,

dp