[LAU] howto record saxophone?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 07:04:33 EST 2009

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> I want to record a saxophone. Any suggestions?

I've never recorded a saxophone, but I've played on stage with many a
sax fiend. Most of them used a clip-on mic for freedom of movement, that
may not be necessary in a recording room.

Btw, which sax ? Soprano, tenor, bari, C melody ?

Different effects will be achieved by setting the mic in various
locations, i.e. close to the player, directly in the bell, behind the
player, above the player, et cetera. Players move the instrument a lot
in performance, you might get the best effect from an ambient placement.

My suggestion: Experiment. Others here will have more to say about mics,
frequency response curves, and the proper clothing. Have fun. :)

HTH,

dp