[LAU] recommendations for midi controller keyboard

Simon W. Fielding s.fielding at wmcce.org
Wed Jan 7 05:35:34 EST 2009

Should
> be pressure sensitive but not worried about aftertouch. Ideally it
> should work with a usb cable under Linux (but have a midi out as well
> in
> case I ever need it). Assignable controller knobs would be nice but
not
> necessary.
>
> I had a quick look on the gak.co.uk website, and this one looks like
> the
> sort of thing I want (though I don't know if it works with Linux):
> http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-umx-61/70535
>
> Any (other) recommendations?
>
> andy

I have :-

M-Audio Oxygen (49 key) (bought from GAK)
Behringer UMA25S (this has a 2 channel USB audio interface as well - not
brilliant sound quality but handy for playing whilst on the move)
(bought from Digital
Village)
Korg Nanopad

All 3 work just fine with standard Linux usb midi. I just plugged them
in
and they worked.

Caveats:-
	the Behringer has half-action keys which take some getting
used to. They are pressure sensitive but it's hard to get a good
velocity
curve which feels natural. Would be good for driving an organ synth with
fixed velocity.
	The Korg controller software is only for available for Windows
but
runs fine under wine on my FC8 setup.

I hope this is of some use.

Simon