[LAU] recommendations for midi controller keyboard

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Thu Jan 8 01:30:48 EST 2009

andy baxter wrote:
> Does the extra money get you a better key action compared to cheaper
> keyboards? I'm not too worried about having loads of controls, as I can
> always buy (or make) a separate control surface for that.

Yes, much better. And you can even assign diffrent velocity curves that
serves your needs and playing styles. If you will have a better
keyboard to that price, then you must (IMHO) buy an old JX8P or
something. The cheapest keyboards are usually not very good.

> Also I'm thinking that what I really want from a control surface isn't a
> load of pots - it's one or two rotary encoders with a load of push

> Also I'm thinking that what I really want from a control surface isn't a
> load of pots - it's one or two rotary encoders with a load of push
> button switches to assign the encoders to different midi controllers,

You can use any control knob (several of them lights up) for IE. Ardour
(play, stop etc) and the mixing. I have not figured everything yet, bur
look forward to it. More that 16 of the control pads can also send Note
on (with velocity). I don't like them, but others do.

The bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Jostein