[LAU] New Linux DAW build. AMD790GX chipset working OK?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Wed Jan 28 20:15:58 EST 2009

On 29 January 2009 at 1:47, "R.Wolff" <musicwolf at web.de> wrote:

> Mainboard:
> Asrock AOD790GX/128M AMD790GX - =8084,03
> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=3DAOD790GX/128M

I've not heard of Asrock -- I live in a cave under a tree in a swamp.
;-)   But seriously, I'd go with Tyan or ASUS for your motherboard.

Do your homework when choosing the RAM.  It's got to be good in
the motherboard you're using, and memory errors are terrible to
diagnose, if you have them.  I prefer Kingston, or Crucial.  For
power supplies, I go for the higher reliability units, not that
you didn't choose a good one.  But, those are more likely to fail
from what I've experienced.  Since you said DAW, I'd add "quiet"
to your list of power supply features of utmost importance.  I'm
very happy with my Athlon 64-X2.  Besides DAW, you mentioned that
you need excellent graphics.  Are you going to produce video, or
maybe you're trying to build a machine for gaming too?  You'll
need to choose your audio interface for the DAW, and that might
impact your choice of motherboards, which will ripple through all
of your other choices.

G'luck...

--
Kevin