[LAU] Free Software Music Series

Ernie Dulanowsky ernst at pulsewidth.ca
Tue Jul 7 02:52:49 EDT 2009

Thanks, Ken, glad you like these tracks.

A variety of tools went in to making these tracks, actually.

The stuff on pulsetape is older. I used to use SpiralSynth Modular, which is
actually still included in UbuntuStudio
even though it's no longer supported. SSM had a plugin call SpiralLoops, a
looper as you might guess. It basic, but
had a cool feature: the ability to set up to eight triggers at points on the
loop. I would designate one loop as master
and have the triggers fire the second looper, or trigger envelope
generator.Sometimes I'd put the trigger in to a counter
so the second loop would only be triggered on every fourth pulse, for
example.  I would follow the loops with filters and delays,
them in to a reverb. SSM has a disk-writer plugin, but I switched to JACK
Timemachine. SSM could also use LADSPA plugins.
There was a brief effort to convert the plugins in SSM to LADSPA or DSSI,
but I don't think that's going anywhere at present.
It's a shame, because there were some brilliant synth modules and effects in
that collection.

Other pulsetape tracks were done with Kluppe (http://kluppe.klingt.org). A
nice loop player with some good features. My favourite
feature is the custom playback modes. With these, one draws a graph to
control either playback position (listen to 'rehab moths') or playback
speed. The playback region can be defined by dragging the cursor in the
chosen buffer. You can also 'scratch' with in the play region.
Theres also a grain effect that can be invoked that is decent. I'd then feed
the output of Kluppe in to either JACK Rack or AMS. I had a dalliance
with Om (before it became Ingen) but it's too much work to build.

All of the tracks on Soundcloud are done with Pd-Extended. I use a patch
called Axiome wich I found on the Pd Forums and is available
here:
http://www.lsxdesign.net/Puredata/Axiome/

Axiome works best with a Monome. I've got one now, but didn't when I did
these tracks. I augmented axiome with effects from Martin Brinkmann's
collection of Pd patches (http://www.martin-brinkmann.de/pd-patches.html)
and HardOff's DIY2 collection (
http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-1982-diy2-effects-sample-players-synths-sound-synthesis
).