[LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 11 02:03:16 EDT 2009

Rob wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009 04:50:26 pm Justin Smith wrote:
>> The reason I would be tempted to do this, is because the linux
>> versions of flash and firefox are huge cumbersome cpu-hogs, and I hear
>> the windows versions of both programs, running under wine, run much
>> more smoothly.
>
> I have had high CPU usage with Flash 10 since I switched to Jaunty (was
> running Flash 9 before.)  But I've also had high CPU usage with KDE4 apps,
> so I suspect my Intel video drivers (or the version of Xorg in Jaunty) may
> be to blame.  There are bugs filed for both possibilities.  This would mean
> Flash 10 under Wine won't help, so I guess I need to try it and report
> back.
>
> Playing a standard, low-res Youtube video pegs my CPU nowadays, so I can
> understand why Ken might be frustrated enough to resort to drastic
> measures.

Hmmm, I have no such problem with Flash on Debian Lenny. Many times, I
have a Flash music video playing in FF, switch it to the background, and
continue doing other stuff with the computer without any performance
impact at all. Must be a problem with Ubuntu.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community