[LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Jul 11 03:12:17 EDT 2009

On Saturday 11 July 2009 02:03:16 am david wrote:
> Hmmm, I have no such problem with Flash on Debian Lenny. Many times, I
> have a Flash music video playing in FF, switch it to the background, and
> continue doing other stuff with the computer without any performance
> impact at all. Must be a problem with Ubuntu.

Well, I've no idea what Ken uses (and his problem is pretty different than
mine), but I did mention I was using Jaunty specifically.  It still works
fine on Hardy (whose Flash is 9.0) and OK on Intrepid, both of which
default to earlier versions of Xorg -- as appears to be the case with Lenny
since Debian stable goes into feature freeze about what, 6 or 7 years
before each release?  So in a couple of years you may run into this
problem, in Rocky or Scud or whatever they name it by then.

What doesn't work fine on Hardy is LMMS 0.4.4, which wouldn't even build
unless I installed a lot of newer versions of packages that would undermine
the stability which would be my entire reason for running a long-term
release.  Intrepid's shelf life is already running out unless I spend more
time backporting packages than I have available, so I'm stuck running
newer, unstable distros for a while.

Rob