[LAU] Does the Edirol UA-101 work well at 192 kHz/24 bit?

Carlos Sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:26:51 EDT 2009

(Sorry, I pushed send before finish)

Thank you so much for the info.

I'm not sure yet if, from the linux/jack/etc point of view, it would
"better" (it is relative and also depends on what you need), or more
advisable to go for a UA or FA.

I've red and searched a lot about USB and Firewire audio interfaces,
and I think I can do a short list of some of the pros and cons
(correct me if I'm wrong) for anyone who is in the same situation:

* UA/USB:
Pros:
- portability (firewire is not so common yet, I only have one in my laptop),
- there are a lot of different choices for audio devices.
- usb 3.0 is coming (maybe standard from the beginning)
Cons:
- some UA devices aren't fully supported (maybe some more since last
time I checked Alsa matrix) yet,
- no support for USB 2.0 audio standard from the
manufacturers->special alsa drivers for every audio interface

FA/Firewire:
Pros:
- fully supported at least Edirol FAs
- it seems that firewire protocol requires less processing and/or
resources from the computer
- cheaper than their equivalent in Usb
Cons:
- only jack support, not alsa (by what you write on last emails)
- Firewire is not as spreaded as Usb and Apple has the patent ($$)

Foreseeing I'll need more than 2 ins, and having just one firewire and
only in my laptop and not on my PC, it makes me balance to UA 101.

Any more advices and experience on linux?

--
Carlos "Sanchiavedraz"
* Musix GNU+Linux