[LAU] More Hammondology

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:11:02 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> you really can't emulate a Leslie just by DSP and a normal
> speaker - what happens is quite physical and much more than
> just some modification of the signal feeding a speaker.
> It could be emulated using Wave Field Synthesis  or speaker
> arrays.

for most Hammond clone players, there really isn't any need to try to
emulate the Leslie at all.  because the sound of the Leslie is so
"physical", most players bring a "clonewheel" and a real Leslie, or at
least one of the Leslie knock-offs (Motion Sound, Speakeasy, etc.).
I'm convinced that if some programmer would take the time to develop a
completely gui-less Leslie-less Hammond organ, it would be a hit.

one more side note:  not everyone uses a Leslie (i.e. Brian Auger).

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com