[LAU] processing lead vocals

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:28:05 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do (and did over the years) quite some recording with vocals. I know a
> few tricks when it comes to processing lead vocals, but sometimes I feel
> I'm doing the same thing over and over. So obviously I'm looking for
> other directions and therefore I'll save my own approaches for later in
> this thread...
>
> My question is: how do *you guys* work with processing on lead vocals,
> mostly in pop/rock setting? We all learn the most the more precise this
> discussion gets, so if you'd share sound examples and screenshots of DSP
> chains that'd be great.
>
> Note: I'm not looking for that golden setting or trying to squeeze your
> golden eggs out of you. I'm just trying to learn, and hopefully this can
> be a fruitful experience for all of us :-)

To be honest, I don't do much processing on vocals if I can help it,
as I like to get as much of the raw voice performance as I can -- a
little compression when recording and some reverb or delay as needed
for post-processing. If I want to double the vocal line, I don't do it
electronically, I will have the singer sing each part separately.

-- Brett