[LAU] processing lead vocals

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Jun 3 07:17:38 EDT 2009

Atte André Jensen wrote:

> My question is: how do *you guys* work with processing on lead vocals,
> mostly in pop/rock setting? We all learn the most the more precise this
> discussion gets, so if you'd share sound examples and screenshots of DSP
> chains that'd be great.

*if* your performer can keep his/her head reasonably still, a close-ish
ORTF stereo pair in an intimate, well-damped room can sound great.
i once tried it on a singer/guitarist (using two dynamic sennheiser md
421s, with the singer being about 30cm away from them).

it sounds very close but also quite spacious. the only drawback is that
each head movement translates to an audible shift of image (made worse
by the guitar playing), but for a vocals-only take it might work.

also, for vocal reverb i recommend convolution with a really nice IR
over each and every reverb engine i have tried (even though some are
quite usable).

one IR i love (and abuse over and over again) is the concertgebouw
amsterdam, available from some free IR site i've forgotten...