[LAU] ubuntu realtime.

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Mon Jun 8 20:57:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> 2009/5/28 Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen at arkki.info>
>> This time latency is 8 ms. Where, when and why someone needs something
>> like 3 ms?
>
> Here we aim at 1.6ms with the hope of at least 2.7ms
> If you do monitoring and using real time fx while recording one or more
> tracks with a mixing console then 8ms is really a bad latency.

I'm coming into this thread a bit late (behind on my email), but for
anyone interested in why latencies below 20ms can matter in recording,
take a nice digital delay -- I have a TC Electronics D-Two and a
Symmetrix 606 -- and setup a stereo slapback echo with it for vocals.
Set up a spread of about 10-20ms.  Sounds nice, huh?  Imagine how
wonderful that can sound between your tracks when you're not even
wanting it...  :(

Usually it's not so obvious when the material isn't just the same sound
delayed, as it is between channels in a stereo delay, but it's still
annoying.  You're playing time domain tricks with your tracks that you
hadn't even wanted.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky