[LAU] all in ram?

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Wed Mar 4 18:45:51 EST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:07:57AM +0300, alex stone wrote:
> I have a question about running linux in ram.
>

> The Scenario.
>
> I'm researching building a dedicated Lsampler box, running headless, with
> netjack doing the ins and outs.
>
> Given the usually large templates i run (full orchestra), including a lot of
> articulations, i'm wondering how feasible it would be to build a barebones
> Linux OS, with linuxsampler as the sole app, more or less, (and required
> libs, etc...), and run the entire thing in ram, that is, the OS, Lsampler,
> and samples.
>
> Is this possible, and if someone's already tried this in some form or other
> successfully or otherwise, could you share some experiences, pros and cons,
> etc... ?
>
> I would be doing all this in Linux 64bit, if it has some decent advantages.

Are you running into problems with a conventional setup?

Generally Linux pages whatever you need into RAM, and
anything that isn't used much gets swapped out. So without
doing anything, you might already be close to a
configuration that will work for you.

The leads me to suggest doing the job the vanilla way, then
adding optimizations incrementally to improve performance
to what you need.

I don't think that going headless, in itself, will give
you any benefits as far as your system's memory use.

AFAIK, you don't need to strip down your environment, as
having all the development tools and coveniences on disk
won't affect your memory consumption.

Joel

> Alex.
>
> --
> Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)

Joel Roth