[LAU] all in ram?

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 02:15:07 EST 2009

Thanks Gentlemen, lots of food for thought in your suggestions and
questions.

I'm definitely interested in building a 'vanilla' OS, stripped down to be as
lean as possible.

The swapoff command i didn't know about, so i'll have a look at that. That
may well be sufficient, but i'll test it, and see what happens.

Joel, i don't have problems with the regular setup, i'm just aiming for the
leanest, most efficient, stable setup i can get. You may well be right, that
what i have is close to ok now, and could just benefit from a tweak or two
here and there.

Julien, i've taken notes from your ideas. I like the idea of a text only
based OS for LS, as i use this now for opening regular templates. Makes
sense to me getting rid of cpu munching possibilities of a gui, and just
work at the most efficient interface possible.

James, i'd need to go through the processes i don't need, but having disks
as read only makes sense to me. I've already got two dedicated sample disks
that i keep scrupulously clean that are pretty well read only in my natural
workflow, so the 'habit' is already embedded.

Again, thanks fellas. This sort of info is highly useful for me, and
possibly others.

Alex.