[LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the stateofLinux audio)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Mar 9 14:20:42 EDT 2009

> Probably I need to make a more nuanced distinction between
> linuxaudio.org and linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org. It's likely
> not true for you running all this stuff but from the outside I see the
> two as very intertwined. If the business of linuxaudio.org were to
> become a large part of what is discussed on this list, or the list was
> to start pushing folks to become Debian based as a policy, then I'd be
> disappointed. I think it's best if this list is distro neutral. What
> linuxaudio.org does is a different thing.
>
> AND, I get that you are NOT suggesting ANYTHING about what I'm writing
> is true. I'm just asking the question and developing my own point of
> view

Those are very genuine concerns Mark and I fully agree with you. The lau/lad
lists have always been and IMHO should remain distro-agnostic. FWIW, I also
see Linuxaudio.org as distro-agnostic. But since Linuxaudio.org's membership
is project/company oriented, the only way we can truly become
distro-agnostic is by having all relevant distros becoming members and
hopefully in a long-run having them collaborate through Linuxaudio.org on
establishing standards that would make audio on Linux universal. And
although all this sounds way too utopian, it does not hurt to set some noble
goals ahead of us and pursue them in hope one day we may reach the end of
the rainbow ;-).

Best wishes,

Ico