[LAU] why shouldn't clients autoconnect to jack

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Mar 23 12:06:22 EDT 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> I think there is a middle-ground here.
>
> When an application runs for the first time, I think it should show a
> configuration dialog allowing the user to choose connections for the
> input & output ports. These can default to the first available ports, so
> most users can simply hit "OK".

  I agree whole heartedly.  An audio application is non-functional without
defined outputs, so if there is no stored config, it should walk the
first-time user thru the configuration process, and present some
reasonable choices as the 'default', while making it clear that other
options are available when they're ready to use them.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009