[LAU] why shouldn't clients autoconnect to jack

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Mar 23 12:50:36 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:43:45PM +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> When an application runs for the first time, I think it should show a
> configuration dialog allowing the user to choose connections for the
> input & output ports. These can default to the first available ports, so
> most users can simply hit "OK".

That would be perfectly acceptable.
The important thing is that it must be possible
to tell an app *once and for all* not to auto
connect.

On a more general level, a connection is (almost)
always between two different things. This alone
should be enough to consider connections to be
something that no single app should ever decide
for itself - there is always another side that
should have the same weight in the decision.
Since jack's design does not allow apps to refuse
a connection, the decent thing to do for an app
is not to connect.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.