[LAU] Jconv

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Mar 24 13:24:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:44:28PM +0300, alex stone wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:24 PM, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've set up a multiple input output .conf, using your /impulse/copy
> > function.
> > It works really well, and i've been adding them up to my current test which
> > is 18 ins, and 18 outs, being 16 ER's, and 2 Tails. (more or less.)
> > This is with the "greathall". wav.
> > (And the naming function works a treat, and makes things easy to see and
> > identify quickly in a patchbay.)
> >
> > There's a lot more to do, including tweaking the ER start and finish
> > points, but, and this is the Q:
> >
> > I can set the jconv outs, to ardours ins, and pan them, so the ER 'image'
> > is in the same location aurally (roughly, for now) as the dry signal.
> >
> > But is it possible to 'pan' the ER within the .conf itself, per in and out,
> > including the impulse/copy ins and outs?
> >
> > Or can i only do this within Ardour, or another app?
> >
> > At the moment, everything's coming out in the middle, and i'm considering
> > adding busses to create a panned sound image. (At this stage of template
> > building, anyway)

Alex, could you please explain what you are trying to do ? I'm asking
because I have a strong impresssion you are complicating your life
difficult by doing it in an upside-down way.

It never makes any sense to run 18 instances of the same
reverb - you can have the same result with just one.

> as a follow on to this, i've been trying to figure out your multi channel
> panning mechanism in Ardour's mixing strips.
> So far no success.
> How do i identify which in is going to which dot?
> I tried it listening to signal, but nothing seems to change.

I've tried to make sense of them many times and always
failed. If you want surround, you should have a look at
Ambisonic panning.

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.