[LAU] firewire soundcard, recommendations please

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Tue Mar 24 16:47:33 EDT 2009

Petter Sundlöf wrote:
> I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend the Saffire. I have a Saffire (non
> LE) and running latest ffado I get random crackles when using the mixer
> and jack/computer crashes when exporting in Ardour.

Not all of these issues are to be attributed to the Saffire.

The crackling on the mixer is due to FFADO sending too much data too
fast. My opinion is that the device should NOT start crackling, no
matter what we throw at it. But that's not the case. We should however
be able to fix this in software.

The crashes when exporting from Ardour are most likely a programming
issue in FFADO, and will occur with all devices. FFADO is not perfect,
that's for sure.

Greets,

Pieter