[LAU] use your pc as an music player (and safe energy)

MarcO'Chapeau marco at marcochapeau.org
Sun Mar 29 09:20:32 EDT 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:59:21 +0200, Grammostola Rosea
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Music is digitalized now and so I use more and more my pc for listening
> to music. I guess this are just modern times....
>
> But this are also the times of a planet what get destroyed and less
> important  money  just disappears...
>
> So I want to save as much energy as possible without buying another pc.
> Is there a way to handle this? What are the tricks or are there 'green'
> distro's?

Hi,

I tend to apply to my desktop PC and my server what I do to preserve
battery on my laptop. There are lots of possible tuning that you can do to
make things better. Googling around for tutorials on laptop energy saving
should get you started. The basics would be a kernel with dynticks enabled
and cpufreq with a conservative or ondemand default governor. Powertop will
also come in handy : http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/

There are also some stuff that can be done on the harware side, like for
instance getting a better power supply unit. Most common PSUs have a 60%
yield, a green one needs to be at least 80%. Those of course are a little
more expensive. I am personally very happy with my Seasonic PSU... See here
: http://www.seasonic.com/

Cheers,

Marc-Olivier Barre.
------