[LAU] use your pc as an music player (and safe energy)

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sun Mar 29 10:12:00 EDT 2009

On 29 March 2009 at 12:59, Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Music is digitalized now and so I use more and more my pc for listening
> to music.
[snip]
> So I want to save as much energy as possible without buying another pc.
> Is there a way to handle this? What are the tricks or are there 'green'
> distro's?

Laptop versions of kernels tend to want to save power to increase
battery life.  Distributions may offer different versions of kernels
for use, even within the same distribution release.  For instance,
Mandriva has laptop, multi-processor, server, large RAM size,
desktop, and multimedia kernels, plus some permutations of those.
For listening to compressed music with a player, the laptop kernel
should save power and be adequate for the music.  Having power saving
hardware, e.g. super efficient power supply and very few add-in
cards, can help a lot too.

G'luck....
--
Kevin