[LAU] Easy sound morphing?

Dan S danstowell+lxau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:52:08 EDT 2009

2009/3/30, shane richards <shanerich at email.com>:
> I've been trying to do some sound morphs between two different hits of a snare drum, one rimshot and the other a plain hit.
>  I tried using SMSTools, and even some windows programs under wine, but the results always seem to sound more like hitting a bucket full of water than a combination of the two drums.

Drum sounds are very "difficult" for these tools because the FFT-based
analysis assumes a quasi-stationary signal (imagine a sine wave that
never changes, that's the easiest) whereas drum hits really strongly
violate this. Also phase issues and other stuff. To be honest you'll
probably do best using some kind of clever perceptually-tweaked
crossfade-based technique... or maybe find something using LPC-based
analysis rather than FFT, that might do well (I haven't looked) - LPC
should have a better chance at handling drum sounds gracefully.

Dan
--
http://www.mcld.co.uk