[LAU] dualcore and audio software

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri May 1 13:14:54 EDT 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 18:39:04 Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Running chuck and ams (and others, these are just examples) I see both
> processors being used with about the same load. Shouldn't it be on just
> one core, with multiple instances sharing the power of the two cores
> together?

I don't understand your question?

chuck and ams are independant applications, there is no reason why they
shouldn't run in parallel on different cores.
Both use threads to split their work, again there is no reason they have all
their threads running on the same core. In fact one of the reasons to use
threads is to make use of multiple cores within one app.

With standard jack it *should* be that all jack-related threads run on one
core, in your case leaving the second core for gui- and disk-threads. jackdmp
makes use of multiple cores as far as I know.

Have fun,

Arnold