[LAU] dualcore and audio software

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Fri May 1 13:38:53 EDT 2009

Arnold Krille wrote:

> I don't understand your question?

Ok.

> chuck and ams are independant applications, there is no reason why they
> shouldn't run in parallel on different cores.

We agree on that.

> Both use threads to split their work, again there is no reason they have all
> their threads running on the same core. In fact one of the reasons to use
> threads is to make use of multiple cores within one app.

But doubling the load (for instance by adding more voices to ams) makes
*both* threads rise by (about) 100%. Wouldn't you expect for instance
gui threads to stay the same. Other cpu heavy processes seem to use only
one core, for instance building stuff from source. Also...

> With standard jack it *should* be that all jack-related threads run on one
> core, in your case leaving the second core for gui- and disk-threads. jackdmp
> makes use of multiple cores as far as I know.

...chuck is non gui and the code I'm running in chuck (my own) doesn't
use disk i/o. Starting ams with -n (nogui) it still takes up two
threads. It looks like this in htop:

http://atte.dk/download/ams_nogui.png

So one thread with prio 20 and one with -76 chewing away at the same 27%.

It might be totally normal and totally unavoidable, but I'm just curious
and doubtful :-)

--
Atte

http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk