[LAU] Ardour/Jack on Debian 5.0

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon May 4 08:10:35 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 9:43 PM, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:

> patches, some of which change the source code.  I've reviewed the patch.
> My guess is that you should consider this 0.109.2-5 as different to
> 0.109.2.
>
> jackd is in Squeeze (testing) at 0.116.1

as the front page at jackaudio.org notes: "Nobody should be using
0.109.X". yes, it apparently works but there are so many deep, deep
bugs in that version that i lost count of them. i would have been
happier if ever distro had taken careful note of this and replaced
0.109 but of course ... no.

> The ardour recommendation you refer to is probably the building section,
> at http://www.ardour.org/building where it says "JACK 0.109 or later,
> preferably 0.116 or later to avoid a buggy version of JACK (libjack)".
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't say exactly which bug was fixed, so it is
> impractical to find whether the bug was fixed in a backport, e.g.
> the Debian Lenny jackd 0.109.2-5.

no, the bugs were very much deeper than any distribution patches.
also, please note that (a) debian has *never* pushed their patches
upstream (b) we believe we have included all the debian patches in
0.116.

> Also, the ardour build on Debian may have been adjusted already to
> compensate for this problem.  There are about 6000 lines in the diff for
> the Sid version.

once again, these patches have never been pushed upstream. incredibly
anti-social behaviour.

>> (And presumably every Jack-enabled audio app in Debian is compiled
>> against this buggy version...yuck.)
>
> Yes, but if the API doesn't change unduly, every Jack-enabled
> audio app in Lenny should work fine with a later version of Jack, all
> you have to do is install the later version and you shouldn't need to
> recompile the other apps.

Correct. Except that this assumes you get a later *package* version of
JACK. With these "old" debian systems, you can't install JACK from
source and get existing apps to work without a couple of additional
steps.