[LAU] Ardour/Jack on Debian 5.0

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Mon May 4 20:08:26 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:10:35AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> as the front page at jackaudio.org notes: "Nobody should be using
> 0.109.X". yes, it apparently works but there are so many deep, deep
> bugs in that version that i lost count of them.

Good to know, thanks.

> i would have been
> happier if ever distro had taken careful note of this and replaced
> 0.109 but of course ... no.

Presumably a lack of effort on the part of the packagers.

> no, the bugs were very much deeper than any distribution patches.
> also, please note that (a) debian has *never* pushed their patches
> upstream [...]

Yes, that's annoying.  I'm upstream for pptp and pptpd, and I have to go
dig in Debian and Ubuntu patches if I want anything to come out of it.
The packagers rarely directly engage upstream.  Then again nor are they
*required* to engage by the license.

> > Also, the ardour build on Debian may have been adjusted already to
> > compensate for this problem. ?There are about 6000 lines in the diff for
> > the Sid version.
>
> once again, these patches have never been pushed upstream. incredibly
> anti-social behaviour.

In the absence of social behaviour by the packagers, upstream has to
take what it can get.