[LAU] Ardour/Jack on Debian 5.0

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon May 4 23:03:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:10:35AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 9:43 PM, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:
> >
> > patches, some of which change the source code. ?I've reviewed the patch.
> > My guess is that you should consider this 0.109.2-5 as different to
> > 0.109.2.
> >
> > jackd is in Squeeze (testing) at 0.116.1
>
> as the front page at jackaudio.org notes: "Nobody should be using
> 0.109.X". yes, it apparently works but there are so many deep, deep
> bugs in that version that i lost count of them. i would have been
> happier if ever distro had taken careful note of this and replaced
> 0.109 but of course ... no.
>
> > The ardour recommendation you refer to is probably the building section,
> > at http://www.ardour.org/building where it says "JACK 0.109 or later,
> > preferably 0.116 or later to avoid a buggy version of JACK (libjack)".
> >
> > Unfortunately this doesn't say exactly which bug was fixed, so it is
> > impractical to find whether the bug was fixed in a backport, e.g.
> > the Debian Lenny jackd 0.109.2-5.
>
> no, the bugs were very much deeper than any distribution patches.
> also, please note that (a) debian has *never* pushed their patches
> upstream (b) we believe we have included all the debian patches in
> 0.116.

Awesome! So is 0.116.1 the most stable, advised JACK version to use?

Second question: if I download (or build) a Lenny-backported package of 0.116.1 on a Lenny system (backporting, basically), will all my other existing JACK apps still work? Or do I need to rebuild all of those too?

> > Also, the ardour build on Debian may have been adjusted already to
> > compensate for this problem. ?There are about 6000 lines in the diff for
> > the Sid version.
>
> once again, these patches have never been pushed upstream. incredibly
> anti-social behaviour.
>
> >> (And presumably every Jack-enabled audio app in Debian is compiled
> >> against this buggy version...yuck.)
> >
> > Yes, but if the API doesn't change unduly, every Jack-enabled
> > audio app in Lenny should work fine with a later version of Jack, all
> > you have to do is install the later version and you shouldn't need to
> > recompile the other apps.
>
> Correct. Except that this assumes you get a later *package* version of
> JACK. With these "old" debian systems, you can't install JACK from
> source and get existing apps to work without a couple of additional
> steps.

What steps, specifically? I'd be willing to do them if they're not too invasive. Then again, if I can get a packaged version I'd much rather do that, and stay within the package manager's system.

-ken