[LAU] pulse config

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 5 09:03:02 EDT 2009

> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> Why doesn't pulse audio have a simple config gui for choosing the
>> default sound server and card order?

I was never able to find a way to specify card order with PulseAudio.

I've removed PulseAudio now, so I can't tell you exactly how to
specify the default sound card.  But as Burkhard suggested, you can do
a right click on the GUI screen that shows the cards and check the
only box that shows up which says, "make default".

However that didn't help me when running various applications because
in those applications, PulseAudio would go with the first sound
chip/card in the PulseAudio chip/card order; and I was never able to
find a way to change that order.

My workaround to have PulseAudio not default to the motherboard sound
chip (so that all my applications would default to a PCI sound card)
was to enter the BIOS setup at reboot and disable the motherboard
sound chip.  Talk about a drastic kludge!!!  Maybe the PulseAudio
developers have realized by now that there can be more than one sound
chip/card in an user's system, and user selectable chip/card order is
a requirement for Linux audio, not a luxury.

Good luck.....
Stephen.