[LAU] USB Interface/Mixer

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Tue May 5 12:30:30 EDT 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Hi,

Thanks for taking time for the recommendation.

> If you get a 6 channel card with midi i/o that will do the trick. I have
> a four channel device and I miss the other two channels on occasion.

I'll never use more than a couple of channels. Nor do I need midi on the
interface.

> There are several that have these specs but I have only used m-audio usb
> quattro. It  works well for me but has zero vendor support.
>
> You could pick one up cheap on ebay by now.
>
> One gotcha is the external power supply.

Ahh, yet another bit to haul around.

> If you can find a cheap alternative with 6 channels and midi i/o which
> can power itself over usb-2.0 then you should go for that option instead.

I was in a music store today and they guy there recommended a Tascam
unit. I think that there a  number of different manufacturers of similar
products.

What I don't understand is how the interface will work.

Am I right that the mics will plug into the interface and then the
"sound" from the mics will go to the computer. Then I use the mixer on
the computer to balance between the computer audio (whether it's playing
a midi file or a mp3 that shouldn't make any difference ... it's just a
signal going out to the box).

So, the computer then has the task of taking the 2 mic inputs and mixing
them with the internally generated sound and my mixer application can be
used to balance the the different signals ... which then get sent back
out to the box and then to my PA.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding all this.

Thanks.
--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca