[LAU] state of multimedia

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed May 6 19:19:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 06:04:31PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I'm looking at blender again and it appears that the reason it won't
> load a movie for me is because the Fedora 10 version was compiled
> without ffmpeg support.
>
> WTF?

Certain libraries trigger license or patent issues in some countries,
and so Fedora won't package them.  As a result, they must compile
Blender without a critical feature.

> mplayer without jack support and blender without ffmpeg support.
>
> I hope they fixed both in Fedora 11.

Don't bet on it.

>  Do all the distros have this policy?

No.  Several distributions have a more relaxed policy.  Hunt around.

Some distribution communities also provide a secondary repository for
restricted formats or libraries.